The history of the Bodegas Borsao Winery dates back to 1958, when the Cooperative Campo de Borja was established. It was here that the brand Borsao emerged. After a while, cooperatives from the municipalities of Tabuenca and Pozuelo with their extensive vineyards joined the company.
This happened in 2001, and this is the year a new company called Bodegas Borsao appeared. The young company included 620 participants who set as their main goal the absolute renewal and improvement of the principles of winemaking: from the method of winegrowing to the modernization of equipment at wineries.
Campo de Borja DO is located on the right bank of the river of Ebro, south of Navarre, around the ancient town of Borja. Grapes have been grown here since the 13th century. At that time the monks from the Monastery of Verule contributed greatly to the development of viticulture and winemaking in the region.
The vineyards are surrounded by mountains of the Sierra del Moncayo and are located in a hilly area at an altitude of 700 metres above sea level. The climate here is quite severe — with cold winters, very hot summers and frequent frosts in spring, the cold wind «el sierso» comes from the Pyrenees. Garnacha variety occupies 75% of the plantations on these lands, which is why the region can be easily called «Garnacha Empire».